I have no idea how to run a podcast,(which may be self evident for you listeners). I say that, because I’m fairly sure that one thing you are probably not supposed to do is to give free advertising for other shows. Luckily, I’m not making any money on this show (and am spending money that could be going to other important things like hunting and fishing equipment and trips, presents for my wife to make up for the hunting and fishing equipment and trips, etc…)
The good news is that I am letting you guys know, and taking entirely way too long to get to the point about other podcasts that I think that we should all be listening to because they touch on important topics for the hunting community. None of these are what I would call “how to”, though some of them do have episodes on those topics as well.
1. MeatEater with Steven Rinella. If you haven’t heard of Steven Rinella, you absolutely need to look him up. He is the modern day voice of the hunter/conservation ethic. I believe that he is the best that we have to offer right now, though I think that the case can be made for the number two on this list.
2. Hunt Talk Radio with Randy Newberg – Randy Newberg is a little bit more political than Rinella is. He tends to call people out a bit more, but does a great job laying out the issues. If these two were based in Wisconsin and covered just Wisconsin topics more often, I would not have started this thing to begin with.
3. Wired to Hunt: While the first two on this list may have the sense of being western hunters (though both are from the Midwest, and Rinella hunts here on a fairly regular basis), Mark Kenyon’s podcast focuses on whitetail hunting. There is a lot of how to and “hitlist” talk on this show, but he does cover the larger issues as well.
4. The Hunting Collective with Ben O’Brien — This show just premiered in the beginning of February. It has a bit more chutzpah than my show does. O’Brien has an impressive resume that includes being the Hunting Marketing Manager for Yeti as well as past work for Petersen’s, Intermedia and the NRA. His guest list thus far has been impressive, with Rinella, Ryan Callaghan and Shane Mahoney all making an appearance
5. Conservation Matters with Shane Mahoney — Shane may be Canada’s answer to Jim Posewitz with the exception that his voice is scary as hell. These podcasts come out at irregular intervals, but are worth a listen.
6. BHA Podcast and Blast — The podcast for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. They do a good job of covering issues that have to do with public lands and other conservation issues.
7. Joe Rogan Experience — Joe Rogan is a stand up comedian and television personality. Some may remember him from News Radio or Fear Factor. Others may know him from is involvement with the UFC. What some may not know is that Joe has become heavily involved in hunting after being introduced to the sport by Steven Rinella. Joe’s podcast is one that is worthy of checking on every couple of weeks to see who he has on there. He has a lot of hunters on there from time to time including Rinella, Cam Haines, Remi Warren, and Wisconsin’s own Doug Duren.
What podcasts do you guys have that you think are worth checking out?
Check out this episode!